WES PTO: September 17, 2018
Looking for a co-president to work with Jenna; Sloane will help until then. Some emailing issues but straightening out.
- PTO Overview: Experienced hands here so skipped. Budget will be sent soon.
- Job Action: School committee has elected not to make any statemetns as negotiations are ongoing, but there will be an agenda item on this at the next meeting (Thursday). Anything outside regular classroom hours and regular curriculum and not listed as an obligation in the contract. No field trips. Teachers have the option to do what they want. Three bargaining units per building. Have to blend to one bargaining unit for each category.
Pamphlet is a reflection of the teacher’s union side. MtG committee is acting unfairly, not living up to agreements. Says actions b/c school committee is not honoring previous agreements on salaries with a pay freeze. Filed multiple charges. List activities not happening () Say contact the seven members of the school committee to end.
Items not happening at WES/LES: Open house, sub line, HW help, cape cod trip, Lego robotics, school council, Shakespeare and company, 6th grade play, Memorial day / Cal Ripken play, art show, spirit committee, book club, Cape Cod café, geography Bee coordinator, math club, flying deer chaperone, WESE committee and auction, spring drama, watermelon welcome, kindergarten orientation night, winter/spring plays, art to remember, Friday morning orchestra, parent/teacher conference outside allotted 1.5 hour time frame, parent information night, pre-k night with specialist, parent newsletter / phone calls, 3rd grade pancake breakfast, wellness committee, hiring committee, 6th grade wreath sale, 6th grade party, book fair’s pizza dinner, setup for student author night, summer curriculum development, off campus band performances, lunch/recess buddies, popsicle social.
- Open House: All three schools will not have an open house scheduled now due to the job action; hope to have one later.
- Booklet: New drop-off rules (which are spectacular). How to distribute? Can send home.
- Clothing Sale: Oct 13: Work sessions every Tues/Thurs at 7-9pm, and Sundays 1-4pm until sale. Willing volunteers contact Jenna.
- Picture day: coming, can order online, make sure get emails from LifeTouch (could go to junk mail).
- WAW: Words are Wonderful: Met, things look good. Kathleen asked to share that signs coming up for volunteers, need a lot of volunteers (so much fun to be behind the cash register!). Takedown is Friday October 19th (Setup is Tuesday October 16th). Spouses are welcome to volunteer or be volunteered.
- Walk to school: Wednesday October 3rd. Little kids start here or near Cole field, bottom of Spring Street, will have police presence.
Q: Can we have an after-school Halloween party in the cafeteria? Yes. Maybe $5? 90 minutes plenty. If older kids coming need parents….
- Boxtops: Bulletin board looks good. Theme: the Grinch (the sequel comes out in November). Might only have one class go to the movie theatre in North Adams. Might have extra money in fall as not doing as many field trips….
Also: flu shot clinics for families for free, do we want to have one after school open to staff / children / parents…. Always do one for staff. Make sure clear that not responsible for reactions people have.
Sunrise Spanish: unfortunately person lined up fell thru.